Main Article Content
The embryonic development of mud spiny lobsters Panulirus polyphagus was observed, and fecundity, hatching rate and survival rate of early larvae were estimated (n = 18 females). Embryonic development, which occurs on the pleopods of ovigerous lobsters, took 10.5±3.9 days from stage I (bright orange) to stage II-III (orange-dark orange), 7.4±3.4 days from stage III to stage IV-V (orange/brown-dark brown), and then 5.7±0.6 days from dark brown eggs to hatching (24.7±3.8 days from stage I to hatching). Observed water quality parameters included mean salinity 32.1±1.1 ‰, DO 4.0±0.4 mg·L-1, water temperature 26.5±0.3 °C, pH 8.2±0.1, total ammonia 0.14±0.17 mg-N·L-1, nitrite 0.12±0.14 mg-N·L-1 and total alkalinity 144.2±6.8 mg·L-1 as CaCO3. The mean fecundity (F) was 780,770±340,104 eggs and the mean hatching rate (HR) was 21.9±15.8 %; adult females had a mean carapace length (CL) of 92.3±8.1 mm and body weight (BW) of 665.6±147.1 g. Correlation analysis showed that there were significant, positive correlations between F and CL (r2 = 0.57, p<0.01) and between F and BW (r2 = 0.69, p<0.01), while there was no correlation between HR and CL or HR and BW. In addition, the survival rates of phyllosomal larvae in starvation and live feed tests were significantly different (p<0.05) throughout the 7-day experiment. No larvae survived in the starvation treatment to day 4, and by day 7, all of the larvae in the rotifer treatment had died, whereas survival for the Artemia treatment was 26.6±7.6 % at the end of the trial.
2. Ayra, L. and R. Cruz. 2010. Caribbean lobster reproduction: a review. Revista de Investigaciones Marinas 31(2): 115-123.
3. Bhatiyasevi, O. and K. Kittiwattanawong. 1994. Biology of spiny lobsters in genus Panulirus landed at Phuket and adjacent areas. Proceedings of the Department of Fisheries’ Annual Conference 1994: 360-373.
4. Charles, M.J. and M. Peter. 2003. Lobster fattening and fishery in India. INFOFISH International 3: 8-12.
5. Cox, S.L. and D.J. Johnston. 2003. Feeding biology of spiny lobster larvae and implications for culture. Reviews in Fisheries Science 11(2): 89-106.
6. Cruz, R., E. Diaz, M. Baez and R. Adriano. 2001. Variability in recruitment of multiple life stages of the Caribbean spiny lobster, Panulirus argus, in the Gulf of Batabano, Cuba. Marine and Freshwater Research 52: 1263-1270.
7. Fatihah, S.N., S. Jasmani, A.B. Abol-Munafi, S. Noorbaiduri, H. Muhd-Farouk and M. Ikhwanuddin. 2016. Development of a sperm cryopreservation protocol for the mud spiny lobster, Panulirus polyphagus. Aquaculture 462: 56-63.
8. Francis, D.S., M.L. Salmon, M.J. Kenway and M.R. Hall. 2014. Palinurid lobster aquaculture: nutritional progress and considerations for successful larval rearing Reviews in Aquaculture 6(3): 180-203.
9. García-Echauri, L.L., G. Liggins and A. Jeffs. 2019. Resistance to starvation in settling spiny lobsters in warming coastal waters. Marine Ecology Progress Series 623: 39-50.
10. Groeneveld, J.C., C. Greengrass, G. Branch and S. McCue. 2005. Fecundity of the deep-water spiny lobster Palinurus delagoae off eastern South Africa. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 4(2): 135-143.
11. Ikhwanuddin, M., S.N. Fatihah, A.H. Nurfaseha, M. Fathiah, M. Effenddy, A. Shamsudin, A.A. Siti and A.B. Abol-Munafi. 2014. Effect of temperature on ovarian maturation stages and embryonic development of mud spiny lobster, Panulirus polyphagus. Asian Journal of Cell Biology 9(1): 1-13.
12. Irvin, S.J. and S. Shanks. 2015. Tropical spiny lobster feed development: 2009-2013. In: Spiny Lobster Aquaculture Development in Indonesia, Vietnam and Australia. (ed. C.M. Jones), pp 40-54. Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra.
13. Johnston, D.J., A.J. Ritar and C.W. Thomas. 2004. Digestive enzyme profiles reveal digestive capacity and potential energy sources in fed and starved spiny lobster (Jasus edwardsii) phyllosoma larvae. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 138(2): 137-144.
14. Jones, C.M. 2015. Seed supply. In: Spiny Lobster Aquaculture Development in Indonesia, Vietnam and Australia. (ed. C.M. Jones), pp 11-38. Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra.
15. Kittaka, J. 1994. Larval rearing. In: Spiny lobster management. (eds. B. F. Phillips, J.S. Cobb and J. Kittaka), pp. 402-403. Blackwell Scientific Company, Oxford.
16. Kittaka, J. and A.B. MacDiarmid. 1994. Breeding. In: Spiny lobster management. (eds. B. F. Phillips, J.S. Cobb and J. Kittaka), pp. 384-401. Blackwell Scientific Company, Oxford.
17. Linnane, A.J., S.S. Penny and T.M. Ward. 2008. Contrasting fecundity, size at maturity and reproductive potential of southern rock lobster Jasus edwardsii in two South Australian fishing regions. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 88(3): 583-589.
18. Matsuda, H. and T. Yamakawa. 2000. The complete development and morphological changes of larval Panulirus longipes (Decapods, Palinuridae) under laboratory conditions. Fisheries Science 66: 278-293.
19. Matsuda, H., T. Takenouchi and J.S. Goldstein. 2006. The complete larval development of the pronghorn spiny lobster Panulirus penicillatus (Decapoda: Palinuridae) in culture. Journal of Crustacean Biology 26: 579-600.
20. Mikami, S. and F. Takashima. 1993. Effects of starvation upon survival, growth and molting interval of the larvae of the spiny lobster Panulirus japonicus (Decapoda, Palinuridea). Crustaceana 64(2): 137-142.
21. Nelson, M.M., B.J. Crear P.D. Nichols and D.A. Ritz. 2004. Growth and lipid composition of phyllosomata of the southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii, fed enriched Artemia. Aquaculture Nutrition 10(4): 236-246.
22. Nitiratsuwan, T., K. Panwanitdumrong and C. Ngamphongsai. 2017. Some biological aspects of ornate spiny lobster (Panulirus ornatus Fabricius 1798) from small-scale fishery in Trang province. Khon Kaen Agriculture Journal 45(1): 116-120.
23. Office of Agricultural Economic (OAE). 2008. Economic on the spiny lobster production at the Andaman coast in 2006. Agricultural Economic Research 110: 1-32.
24. Phillips, B.F. and L.H. Evans. 1997. Aquaculture and stock enhancement of lobsters. Marine and Freshwater Research 48: 899-902.
25. Radhakrishnan, E.V., J.K. Kizhakudan and B.F. Phillips. 2019. Introduction to lobsters: biology, fisheries and aquaculture. In: Lobsters: Biology, Fisheries and Aquaculture. (eds. E. Radhakrishnan, B.F. Phillips and G. Achamveetil), pp. 1-33. Springer, Singapore.
26. Sekine, S., Y. Shima, H. Fushimi and M. Nonaka. 2001. Larval period and molting in the Japanese spiny lobster Panulirus japonicus under laboratory conditions Fisheries Science 66(1): 19-24.
27. Smith, G., M. Kenway and M. Hall. 2010. Starvation and recovery ability of phyllosoma of the tropical spiny lobsters Panulirus ornatus and P. homarus in captivity. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India 52(2): 249-256.
28. Smith, G., M. Salmon, M. Kenway and M. Hall. 2009. Description of the larval morphology of captive reared Panulirus ornatus spiny lobsters, benchmarked against wild-caught specimens. Aquaculture 295: 76-88.
29. Solanki, Y., K.L. Jetani, S.I. Khan, A.S. Kotiya, N.P. Makawana and M.A. Rather. 2012. Effect of stocking density on growth and survival rate of spiny lobster (Panulirus polyphagus) in cage culture system. International Journal of Aquatic Science 3(1): 3-14.
30. Vijayakumaran, M., A. Maharajan, S. Rajalakshmi, P. Jayagopal, M.S. Subramanian and M.C. Remani. 2012. Fecundity and viability of eggs in wild breeders of spiny lobsters, Panulirus homarus (Linnaeus, 1758), Panulirus versicolor (Latrielle, 1804) and Panulirus ornatus (Fabricius, 1798). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India 54(2): 18-22.
31. Vijayakumaran, M., R. Venkatesan, T.S. Murugan, T.S. Kumar, D.K. Jha, M.C. Remany, J.M.L. Thilakam, S.S. Jahan, G. Dharani, S. Kathiroli and K. Selvan. 2009. Farming of spiny lobsters in sea cages in India. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43: 623-634.
32. Vijayakumaran, M., T.S. Murugan, M.C. Remany, T.M. Leema, J.D. Kumar, J. Santhanakumar, R. Venkatesan and M. Ravindran. 2005. Captive breeding of the spiny lobster, Panulirus homarus. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 39: 325-334.
33. Wahyudin, R.A., Y. Wardianto, M. Boer, A. Farajallah and A.A. Hakim. 2017. Short Communication: A new distribution record of the mud-spiny lobster, Panulirus polyphagus (Herbst, 1793) (Crustacea, Achelata, Palinuridae) in Mayalibit Bay, West Papua, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 18(2): 780-783.
34. Williams, K.C. 2007. Nutritional requirements and feeds development for post-larval spiny lobster: A review. Aquaculture 263: 1-14.
35. Ziegler, T.A. and R.B. Forward. 2007. Control of larval release in the Caribbean spiny lobster, Panulirus argus: role of chemical cues. Marine Biology 152: 589-597.