Main Article Content
Background and Objective: Obesity is a significant health problem and associated with diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, and hypertension. Herbal supplementation is considered as a complementary method for obesity control. Therefore, the objective of this study was to investigate the effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. extract (HTE) on weight gain, hyperglycemia, insulin resistance, leptin, and dyslipidemia in high-fat diet-induced obese rats.
Methods: Twenty-four male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into three groups. Each group was fed with different diet for 12 wks. The first group was fed a standard diet of rat chow, the second was fed a high-fat diet (HFD), and the third was fed an HFD containing 1% HTE. Body weight and food intake were measured throughout the study. Adipose tissue weight, blood sugar, insulin, lipid profiles, and leptin were measured after the experiment.
Results: The addition of HTE to the HFD significantly prevented weight gain (p<0.05). In addition, treatment with HTE resulted in a remarkable reduction in adipose tissue weight, blood sugar, insulin resistance, and leptin (p<0.05). The HTE treatment also significantly improved dyslipidemia (p<0.05). However, no statistically significant change in insulin levels was observed after the HTE treatment.
Conclusions: HTE exhibited anti-obesity effect, decreased fat accumulation in adipose tissue, restored hyperglycemia, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia, and reduced leptin in HFD-induced obese rats. Thus HTE is suggested as a possible alternative treatment for obesity.
2. Aekplakorn W. Inthawong R, Kessomboon P, Sangthong R, Chariyalertsak S, Putwatana P, et al. Prevalence and trends of obesity and association with socioeconomic status in Thai adults: National Health Examination Surveys, 1991-2009. J Obes 2014; 2014: 410259.
3. Silva Figueiredo P, Carla Inada A, Marcelino G, Maiara Lopes Cardozo C, de Cássia Freitas K, de Cássia Avellaneda Guimarães R, et al. Fatty acids consumption: The role metabolic aspects involved in obesity and its associated disorders. Nutrients 2017; 9: E1158.
4. Yang ZH, Miyahara H, Takeo J, Katayama M. Diet high in fat and sucrose induces rapid onset of obesity-related metabolic syndrome partly through rapid response of genes involved in lipogenesis, insulin signalling and inflammation in mice. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2012; 4: 32.
5. Fasshauer M, Paschke R. Regulation of adipocytokines and insulin resistance. Diabetologia 2003; 46: 1594-603.
6. Matsuzawa Y, Funahashi T, Kihara S, Shimomura I. Adiponectin and metabolic syndrome. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004; 24: 29-33.
7. Myers MG, Leibel RL, Seeley RJ, Schwartz MW. Obesity and leptin resistance: distinguishing cause from effect. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2010; 21: 643-51.
8. Stolar MW. Insulin resistance, diabetes, and the adipocyte. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2002; 59: S3-8.
9. Ye J. Mechanisms of insulin resistance in obesity. Front Med 2013; 7: 14-24.
10. Golay A, Ybarra J. Link between obesity and type 2 diabetes. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 19: 649-63.
11. Ogden CL, Yanovski SZ, Carroll MD, Flegal KM. The epidemiology of obesity. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 2087-102.
12. Montani JP, Antic V, Yang Z, Dulloo A. Pathways from obesity to hypertension: from the perspective of a vicious triangle. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002; 26 (Suppl 2): S28-38.
13. Boonyaprapat N. Herbal. 3rd ed. Bangkok: Prachachon co., Ltd. 1999.
14. Yoshino H, Imai N, Nabae K, Doi Y, Tamano S, Ogawa K, et al. Thirteen-week oral toxicity study of Dokudami extract (Houttuynia Cordata Thunb.) in F344/DuCrj rats. J Toxicol Pathol 2005; 18: 175-82.
15. Meng J, Leung KS, Jiang Z, Dong X, Zhao Z, Xu LJ. Establishment of HPLC-DAD-MS fingerprint of fresh Houttuynia cordata. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2005; 53: 1604-9.
16. Xu CJ, Liang YZ, Chau FT. Identification of essential components of Houttuynia cordata by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and the integrated chemometric approach. Talanta 2005; 68(1): 108-15.
17. Shingnaisui K, Dey T, Manna P, Kalita, J. Therapeutic potentials of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. against inflammation and oxidative stress: A review. J Ethnopharmacol 2018; 220: 35-43.
18. Huo J, Deng S, Li J. Preparation of flavonoids of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. and the antibacterial mechanism on Bacillus subtilis. Journal of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology 2017; 17: 82-9.
19. Ren X, Sui X, Yin J. The effect of Houttuynia cordata injection on pseudorabies herpesvirus (PrV) infection in vitro. Pharm Biol 2011; 49: 161-6.
20. Chen YY, Liu JF, Chen CM, Chao PY, Chang TJ. A study of the antioxidative and antimutagenic effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. using an oxidized frying oil-fed model. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 2003; 49: 327-33.
21. Lai KC, Chiu YJ, Tang YJ, Lin KL, Chiang JH, Jiang YL, et al. Houttuynia cordata Thunb extract inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in human primary colorectal cancer cells. Anticancer Res 2010; 30: 3549-56.
22. Miyata M, Koyama T, and Yazawa K. Water extract of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. leaves exerts anti-obesity effects by inhibiting fatty acid and glycerol absorption. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2010; 56: 150-6.
23. Kang H and Koppula S. Houttuynia cordata alleviates high-fat diet-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver in experimental rats. Pharm Biol 2015; 53: 414-22.
24. Park HS, Shim SM. Preventive responses to a standardized extract of Houttuynia cordata supplemented diet in obesity induced by a high-fat diet in mice. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 2015; 58: 643-9.
25. Lin MC, Hsu PC, Yin MC. Protective effects of Houttuynia cordata aqueous extract in mice consuming a high saturated fat diet. Food Funct 2013; 4: 322-7.
26. Barnett SW. Manual of animal technology. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing. 2007.
27. Ghibaudi L, Cook J, Farley C, van Heek M, Hwa JJ. Fat intake affects adiposity, comorbidity factors, and energy metabolism of sprague-dawley rats. Obes Res 2002; 10: 956-63.
28. Salgado AL, Carvalho Ld, Oliveira AC, Santos VN, Vieira JG, Parise ER. Insulin resistance index (HOMA-IR) in the differentiation of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and healthy individuals. Arq Gastroenterol 2010; 47: 165-9.
29. Seo JB, Choe SS, Jeong HW, Park SW, Shin HJ, Choi SM, et al. Anti-obesity effects of Lysimachia foenum-graecum characterized by decreased adipogenesis and regulated lipid metabolism. Exp Mol Med 2011; 43: 205-15.
30. Han S, Oh KS, Yoon Y, Park JS, Park YS, Han JH, et al. Herbal extract THI improves metabolic abnormality in mice fed a high-fat diet. Nutr Res Pract 2011; 5: 198-204.
31. Rye KA, Barter PJ. Cardioprotective functions of HDLs. J Lipid Res 2014; 55: 168-79.
32. Kumar M, Prasad SK, Krishnamurthy S, Hemalatha S. Antihyperglycemic activity of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Adv Pharmacol Sci 2014; 2014: 809438.
33. Poolsil P, Promprom W, Talubmook C. Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of extract from Houttuynia cordata Thunb. in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Pharmacogn J 2017; 9: 382-7.
34. Metwally FM, Rashad H, Mahmoud AA. Morus alba L. Diminishes visceral adiposity, insulin resistance, behavioral alterations via regulation of gene expression of leptin, resistin and adiponectin in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. Physiol Behav 2018; 201: 1-11.
35. Lee MR, Yang HJ, Park KI, Ma JY. Lycopus lucidus Turcz. ex Benth. attenuates free fatty acid-induced steatosis in HepG2 cells and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Phytomedicine 2018; 55: 14-22.
36. Friedman JM, Halaas JL. Leptin and the regulation of body weight in mammals. Nature 1998; 395: 763-70.
37. Kahn SE, Hull RL, Utzschneider KM. Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature 2006; 444: 840-6.
38. Alkhalidy H, Wang Y, Liu D. Dietary flavonoids in the prevention of T2D: An overview. Nutrients 2018; 10: 438.