Main Article Content
Background and Objective: The necrotizing fasciitis (NF) is a severe disease, high risk of disability and death. The objective of this study was to investigate the factors associated with death in patients with NF at Department of Surgery, Roi Et Hospital.
Methods: This study was hospital base case-control study. All data were retrieved from medical records of patients with NF at department of Surgery, Roi Et Hospital between January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2020. Of 146 cases were NF with death and 292 controls were surviving NF. The data analyses used descriptive statistics, univariable analysis, and multiple logistics regression.
Results: Of 146 cases were male 65.07%, mean age 62.79± 13.74 years, site of infection lower leg 50%. Of 292 controls were male 65.41%, mean age 60.20± 14.87 years, site of infection lower leg 44.52%. The factors associated with death in NF patients including more than 7 days admission (Adj. OR= 4.25; 95% CI: 2.64-6.23), Septicemia (Adj. OR= 2.19; 95% CI: 1.75-6.40), Septic shock (Adj. OR= 1.44; 95% CI: 1.08-2.37), Disseminated intravascular coagulopathy (Adj. OR= 5.08; 95% CI: 1.59-16.19), Congestive heart diseases (Adj. OR= 2.35; 95% CI: 1.20-2.61), Cirrhosis of liver (Adj. OR= 2.60; 95% CI: 1.84-7.97), Chronic renal failure (Adj. OR= 3.34; 95% CI: 1.16-9.61), Hypokalaemia (Adj. OR= 3.38; 95% CI: 1.08-19.47), and Acute renal failure (Adj. OR= 2.60; 95% CI: 1.83-8.08)
Conclusion: This study revealed that more than 7 days admission, septicemia, septic shock, disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, Congestive heart diseases, cirrhosis of liver, chronic renal failure, hypokalaemia, and acute renal failure were factors associated with death in NF patients.
2. Cheng NC, Yu YC, Tai HC, Hsueh PR, Chang SC, Lai SY, et al. Recent trend of necrotizing fasciitis in Taiwan: focus on monomicrobial Klebsiella pneumoniae necrotizing fasciitis. Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am 2012; 55(7): 930–939.
3. Huang TY, Peng KT, Hsiao CT, Fann WC, Tsai YH, Li YY, et al. Predictors for gram-negative monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis in southern Taiwan. BMC Infect Dis 2020 ; 20(1): 60.
4. Tsai YH, Shen SH, Yang TY, Chen PH, Huang KC, Lee MS. Monomicrobial Necrotizing Fasciitis Caused by Aeromonas hydrophila and Klebsiella pneumoniae. Med Princ Pract Int J Kuwait Univ Health Sci Cent 2015; 24(5): 416–423.
5. Bair MJ, Chi H, Wang WS, Hsiao YC, Chiang RA, Chang KY. Necrotizing fasciitis in southeast Taiwan: clinical features, microbiology, and prognosis. Int J Infect Dis IJID Off Publ Int Soc Infect Dis 2009; 13(2): 255–260.
6. โรคแบคทีเรียกินเนื้อ (Necrotizing Fasciitis) [Internet]. [cited Feb 23, 2021]. Available from: https://www.pidst.or.th/A766.html
7. Sarani B, Strong M, Pascual J, Schwab CW. Necrotizing fasciitis: current concepts and review of the literature. J Am Coll Surg 2009; 208(2): 279–288.
8. Hakkarainen TW, Kopari NM, Pham TN, Evans HL. Necrotizing soft tissue infections: Review and current concepts in treatment, systems of care, and outcomes. Curr Probl Surg 2014; 51(8): 344–362.
9. Khamnuan P, Chongruksut W, Jearwattanakanok K, Patumanond J, Tantraworasin A. Necrotizing fasciitis: epidemiology and clinical predictors for amputation. Int J Gen Med 2015; 8: 195–202.
10. Khamnuan P, Chongruksut W, Jearwattanakanok K, Patumanond J, Yodluangfun S, Tantraworasin A. Necrotizing fasciitis: risk factors of mortality. Risk Manag Health Policy 2015; 8: 1–7.
11. โรคแบคทีเรียกินเนื้อ (Necrotizing Fasciitis) [Internet]. [cited Feb 23, 2021]. Available from: https://www.pidst.or.th/A766.html
12. Peters J, Iacobelli J, Ryan E. Recurrent Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Case Report of Fulminant and Sub-Acute Necrotizing Fasciitis in a Diabetic Patient. Cureus 2020 18; 12(12): e12153.
13. Wong C-H, Chang H-C, Pasupathy S, Khin L-W, Tan J-L, Low C-O. Necrotizing fasciitis: clinical presentation, microbiology, and determinants of mortality. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85(8): 1454–1460.
14. Chang C-P, Hsiao C-T, Lin C-N, Fann W-C. Risk factors for mortality in the late amputation of necrotizing fasciitis: a retrospective study. World J Emerg Surg 2018; 13: 45.
15. Al-Qurayshi Z, Nichols RL, Killackey MT, Kandil E. Mortality Risk in Necrotizing Fasciitis: National Prevalence, Trend, and Burden. Surg Infect 2020; 21(10): 840–852.
16. Goh T, Goh LG, Ang CH, Wong CH. Early diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis. Br J Surg. 2014;101(1):e119-125.
17. Al-Qurayshi Z, Nichols RL, Killackey MT, Kandil E. Mortality Risk in Necrotizing Fasciitis: National Prevalence, Trend, and Burden. Surg Infect 2020;21(10):840–852.
18. Wong C-H, Khin L-W, Heng K-S, Tan K-C, Low C-O. The LRINEC (Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis) score: a tool for distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from other soft tissue infections. Crit Care Med 2004;32(7):1535–1541.
19. Stevens DL, Bisno AL, Chambers HF, Dellinger EP, Goldstein EJC, Gorbach SL, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am 2014; 59(2): e10-52.
20. Misiakos EP, Bagias G, Patapis P, Sotiropoulos D, Kanavidis P, Machairas A. Current concepts in the management of necrotizing fasciitis. Front Surg 2014; 1: 36.
21. Light TD, Choi KC, Thomsen TA, Skeete DA, Latenser BA, Born JM, et al. Long-term outcomes of patients with necrotizing fasciitis. J Burn Care Res Off Publ Am Burn Assoc 2010; 31(1): 93–99.
22. Oud L, Watkins P. Necrotizing Fasciitis Among Patients With Liver Cirrhosis in Texas, 2001 - 2010: A Population-Based Cohort Study. J Clin Med Res 2016; 8(2): 90–96.
23. Nisbet M, Ansell G, Lang S, Taylor S, Dzendrowskyj P, Holland D. Necrotizing fasciitis: review of 82 cases in South Auckland. Intern Med J 2011; 41(7): 543–548.
24. Uehara K, Yasunaga H, Morizaki Y, Horiguchi H, Fushimi K, Tanaka S. Necrotising soft-tissue infections of the upper limb: risk factors for amputation and death. Bone Jt J 2014; 96-B(11): 1530–1534.
25. Jabbour G, El-Menyar A, Peralta R, Shaikh N, Abdelrahman H, Mudali IN, et al. Pattern and predictors of mortality in necrotizing fasciitis patients in a single tertiary hospital. World J Emerg Surg 2016; 11: 40.
26. Kwan MK, Saw A, Chee EK, Lee CS, Lim CH, Zulkifle NA, et al. Necrotizing fasciitis of the lower limb: an outcome study of surgical treatment. Med J Malaysia 2006; 61 Suppl A: 17–20.
27. Aragón-Sánchez J, Quintana-Marrero Y, Lázaro-Martínez JL, Hernández-Herrero MJ, García-Morales E, Beneit-Montesinos JV, et al. Necrotizing soft-tissue infections in the feet of patients with diabetes: outcome of surgical treatment and factors associated with limb loss and mortality. Int J Low Extrem Wounds 2009; 8(3): 141–146.
28. Aragón-Sánchez J, Hernández-Herrero MJ, Lázaro-Martínez JL, Quintana-Marrero Y, Maynar-Moliner M, Rabellino M, et al. In-hospital complications and mortality following major lower extremity amputations in a series of predominantly diabetic patients. Int J Low Extrem Wounds 2010; 9(1): 16–23.
29. Panuda JP, Macalalad-Josue AA, Buenaluz-Sedurante M. Factors associated with In-Hospital Mortality among Patients with Diabetes Admitted for Lower Extremity Infections. J ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc 2019; 34(1): 36–43.